Embed this Infographic
Advance Your Nursing Career
Transform your nursing career and earn an in-demand degree with the online RN to BSN program from Notre Dame of Maryland University.Explore Degree
A Day in the Life of a Pediatric Nurse [Transcript]
A day in the life of a pediatric nurse is never boring. Pediatric nurses care for patients from newborns to teens, treating a variety of illnesses and injuries. Take a look at the many tasks pediatric nurses may encounter throughout their days.
Organize Patient Loads
Nurses receive their expected patient load each day and organize their time in often busy institutions.
Gather Patient Information
Throughout their days, pediatric nurses gather vitals and important patient background information.
- Patient 1: 2-year-old boy with chicken pox
- Patient 2: 5-year-old girl complaining of a sore throat and cough
57.9% of children ages 6 months to 17 years received the flu vaccine last flu season. (1)
Pediatric nurses perform routine examinations for sports physicals, yearly wellness checks and more.
Pediatric nurses give vaccinations like flu shots to patients.
- Administer a flu shot to a teen and one to a 10-year-old girl
Enter Medical Records
Information from previous patients, including vitals, medications and any follow-up plans, needs to be entered into electronic medical records (EMR) systems.
Self-care is important for all nurses. They must make time to eat, get fresh air and collect their thoughts to ensure they’re performing at their best.
Many pediatric nurses make rounds with doctors at hospitals.
61% of nurses work in hospitals in the United States. (2)
Check on Patients
Pediatric nurses work in a variety of specialties and often take care of patients for extended periods of time.
- Patient 1: 9-year-old girl with leukemia daily vitals check
- Patient 2: 13-year-old boy who had surgery after a dislocated shoulder, check joint movement
- Patient 3: 17-year-old boy recovering from upper respiratory infection and flu, administer meds and check vitals
- Patient 4: Toddler in PICU suffering from pneumonia, check vitals and report to parents about condition
Pediatric nurses finish their day by charting and entering more information into EMRs.
Transform your nursing career and earn an in-demand degree with the online RN to BSN program from Notre Dame of Maryland University.